Scope of Mobile Web Best Practices and i18n

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:46:01 +0100
To: <public-bpwg@w3.org>
Cc: <public-i18n-core@w3.org>, "GEO" <public-i18n-geo@w3.org>

I was surprised to see no mention whatsoever of potential internationalization issues and best practices in http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-mobile-bp-scope-20050901/

Note that, in addition to best practices that will enable international use of documents on mobile devices (eg. ensuring a means of supporting right to left scripts, proper specification of character encodings, etc.), my work on software user interfaces makes me think that there are likely to be a good number of recommendations related to localizability of information for small displays. This includes such things as:
-	when designing the page allow for text to expand in translation when the source text is in a language such as English or Chinese (use of tabs, graphics, and other mechanisms can be helpful in this respect)
-	be careful about optimising memory and screen space by use of messages built from separate strings
-	bear in mind that scripts such as Chinese, Thai and Arabic require more vertical pixels for glyphs than most Latin characters
-	write compact but clear source text
-	etc.

I hope that the Working Group will be able to work with the appropriate Internationalization Working Group to explore such topics.

RI
Richard Ishida
W3C

contact info: