W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-i18n-core@w3.org > July to September 2005

RE: ACTION A-Redmond05-01: timezone health warning

From: Addison Phillips <addison.phillips@quest.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 10:11:45 -0700
Message-ID: <634978A7DF025A40BFEF33EB191E13BC0CA915A2@irvmbxw01.quest.com>
To: "Jim Melton" <jim.melton@acm.org>
Cc: "Paul Cotton" <pcotton@microsoft.com>, <ashok.malhotra@oracle.com>, <w3c-xsl-query@w3.org>, <public-i18n-core@w3.org>

Thanks, Jim. If you happen to think of better terms, we would be *very* happy to have suggestions. Note that the document is in the Wiki and can be modified.

I think that Note would be an appropriate format for this information. Perhaps work on time zones would be appropriate in some other formats (like a REC) in the future, but this isn't it.

A non-normative reference to it would be fine. Perhaps, if I may be so bold:

--
Note Well: Users and implementers handling time-related data should take the considerations in [[href:Note]] into account even if time zone sensitive data is rarely used. Sooner or later some data will be affected by the issues described in that document.
--

The I18N Core WG will work to publish this ASAP, once we are all in agreement on the course of action.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Globalization Architect, Quest Software
Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jim Melton [mailto:jim.melton@acm.org]
> Sent: 2005?9?1? 10:03
> To: Addison Phillips
> Cc: Paul Cotton; ashok.malhotra@oracle.com; w3c-xsl-query@w3.org; public-
> i18n-core@w3.org
> Subject: RE: ACTION A-Redmond05-01: timezone health warning
> 
> Addison,
> 
> I am very pleased with your draft text.  It is one of the better, more
> concise, and clearer discussions of this rather annoying problem that I've
> encountered.  I am not particularly delighted with the three names you've
> chosen, but I don't currently have a better alternative to offer.
> 
> You say that you wish to publish the document as a Note and that we would
> then reference it in our document[s].  I assume that our reference would
> be
> non-normative, because the text of a Note is not itself normative in any
> sense.  Right?  If my assumption is correct, then I would have no
> objections to following your suggested action.  Among the advantages is
> the
> fact that a Note can be published pretty quickly so that it is available
> no
> later than our documents going to CR status, right?
> 
> If I find little quibbles that I'd like changed, what is the best process
> for making that happen?
> 
> Thanks,
>     Jim
> 
> 
> At 9/1/2005 09:48 AM, Addison Phillips wrote:
> 
> >Hi Paul,
> >
> >I had an action item to follow up this week with Ashok. I believe we are
> >done with our editing homework. The question is what form the health
> >warning should take in your document. Our text is slightly long.
> >
> >We want to suggest that we publish our document as a Note and that you
> >include a reference to it in your document.
> >
> >The document itself is currently located in the Wiki:
> >
> >http://esw.w3.org/topic/i18nFAQTimeZone#preview
> >
> >Please let us know if you have particular concerns with the content or if
> >you prefer a different course of action for including material from it in
> >yours.
> >
> >Addison
> >
> >Addison P. Phillips
> >Globalization Architect, Quest Software
> >Chair, W3C Internationalization Core Working Group
> >
> >Internationalization is not a feature.
> >It is an architecture.
> > > -----Original Message-----
> > > From: Paul Cotton [mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com]
> > > Sent: 2005?8?31? 20:55
> > > To: ashok.malhotra@oracle.com; Addison Phillips
> > > Cc: w3c-xsl-query@w3.org
> > > Subject: ACTION A-Redmond05-01: timezone health warning
> > >
> > > > ACTION A-Redmond05-01 Ashok will work with Addison to develop text
> > > > for the timezone health warning.  ETA end of August.
> > >
> > > Is the text for the health warning ready?  If it is can one of you
> > > please reply to this message with the proposed text or a pointer to it?
> > >
> > > /paulc
> > >
> > > Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
> > > 17 Eleanor Drive, Nepean, Ontario K2E 6A3
> > > Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
> > > mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com
> > >
> > >
> 
> ========================================================================
> Jim Melton --- Editor of ISO/IEC 9075-* (SQL)     Phone: +1.801.942.0144
>    Co-Chair, W3C XML Query WG; F&O (etc.) editor    Fax : +1.801.942.3345
> Oracle Corporation        Oracle Email: jim dot melton at oracle dot com
> 1930 Viscounti Drive      Standards email: jim dot melton at acm dot org
> Sandy, UT 84093-1063 USA          Personal email: jim at melton dot name
> ========================================================================
> =  Facts are facts.   But any opinions expressed are the opinions      =
> =  only of myself and may or may not reflect the opinions of anybody   =
> =  else with whom I may or may not have discussed the issues at hand.  =
> ========================================================================
> 
Received on Thursday, 1 September 2005 17:12:05 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Wednesday, 1 October 2008 10:18:49 GMT