Re: Simplified or traditional for each Chinese macrolanguage

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 22:32:04 +0900
To: 董福興 <bobbytung@wanderer.tw>
Cc: CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>, Makoto Kato <m_kato@ga2.so-net.ne.jp>, 劉慶 <ryukeikun@gmail.com>
Hi Bobby,

> Hi Koji,
>
> Yue(粵) follows hk standard that should include HKSCS set around 5,000
> glyphs that is already in most TC system fonts.
>
> Min(閩)and Hakka(客家) do not have documented subset for now, still working
> on that[1]. But most of the glyphs is T-source, so point to TC.
>
> About Wu(吳), I believe that most users read SC, but some glyphs not
> included in PRC standards.

Not having all glyphs is fine, browsers can find fallback fonts. The
question affects which font do you expect to see, when you set lang and
without explicit font-family (no font-family or generic family), MS Yahei
or MS JhengHei?

As I replied to Ambrose, web authors can specify the script explicitly, but
the default is needed when the script is omitted.

Off-topic but "zh-hans-yue" was wrong as I re-read BCP-47, it should be
"yue-hans" or "zh-yue-hans". That makes easier to parse for our existing
code.

> CC Eric Liu for more information.
>
> [1]: http://bobbytung.github.io/TaigiHakkaIdeograph/

Some of them must be obvious to you but I have to admit that I'm not clear
on any of the 14 languages, your support is appreciated.

/koji