Re: Simplified or traditional for each Chinese macrolanguage

From: Ambrose LI <ambrose.li@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 01:53:53 -0400
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gmail.com>
Cc: CJK discussion <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>, Xidorn Quan <quanxunzhen@gmail.com>, Makoto Kato <m_kato@ga2.so-net.ne.jp>
> To pick appropriate fonts, browsers need to know whether traditional or
> simplified is preferred for the language, and I believe it's the same for
> Gecko.

This will be somewhat tricky...

> Yue looks easy, all information I looked for says traditional.

This is not strictly speaking correct. People in mainland China or who
have a stronger connection to mainland China (than to Hong Kong, for
example) will write Yue in simplified (using, as far as I can tell, a
*different* convention than what's used in Hong Kong).

(I came from Hong Kong, so I have every reason to tag along and just
say traditional. But that will be contrary to my observations.)

--
Ambrose Li // http://o.gniw.ca / http://gniw.ca
If you saw this on CE-L: You do not need my permission to quote