Re: Letter-by-letter (or syllable-by-syllable) (was RE: HTML5 and ruby

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 00:00:27 +0100
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Cc: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>, CJK discussion (public-i18n-cjk@w3.org) <public-i18n-cjk@w3.org>
Koji Ishii, Sat, 21 Jan 2012 15:33:11 -0500:
>> 1. do we need rb for simple ruby, or will span suffice? (take into
>> account the use case
>> related to fallback)
>
> Please find "Letter-by-letter" section of this page:
> http://www.user.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/ruby-annotation.html
> # Note that IE9 displays this correctly, while WebKit does not.

One reason for that is the fact that Webkit and *Firefox* auto-close
<rtc> as soon as they see the <rt>. Why do they autoclose rtc when they
see the rt? Well, it is probably due to an attempt to try to mimic IE:
It was believed - perhaps - that this is how IE behave. [You perhaps
also remember from the bug report that there was this idea that
elements should be auto-closed when they see <rt>.] However, IE does
not behave that way - IE 6/7/8's problem is that it simply does not
understand <rb> - thus it does not auto-close <rb>, it simply does not
understand it. So, it is pretty ironic: <rtc> is supposed to be a <rt>
container, but in Firefox and Webkit, the very <rt> causes the <rtc> to
be closed ...

The other reason for why it only works in IE, is simply that the author
did not work enough to make it work in other browsers. Note that the
author used table styling to make the ruby look like ruby.

> Fallback and inline doesn't work if we used HTML5 model.

Regarding fallback: That's the point I made too, I think.

> I also guess
> multiple rb and then multiple rt is required to do the correct
> shaping, but this part I'm not sure.

You mean that an <rt> in the midst of a word, could cause the shaping
to be affected? That could be. One thing I discovered right now is that
if you double click a ruby which uses the [current] HTML5 model, then
in letter-by-letter usage, the double click will select the single <rb>
letter plus its connected <rt> element. Whereas if we use <rbc>, then
the 'word' will selected. This also matters if you try to copy and
paste the text.
--
leif h silli