Re: Context of the main element

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 19:28:39 +0100
To: Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>, HTML WG (public-html@w3.org) <public-html@w3.org>
Jeremy Keith, Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:54:24 +0000:
> Leif wrote:
>> But if <main> was allowed to occur more than once, then it could not
>> completely replace role="main": [1]
>> ]] Within any document or application, the author SHOULD mark no more
>> than one element with the main role.[[
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/complete#main

> But in that same document, the contentinfo landmark role has exactly
> the same "should" rule:
> "Within any document or application, the author SHOULD mark no more
> than one element with the contentinfo role"
> http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/complete#contentinfo

> …and yet the HTML equivalent (footer) is not restricted to being used
> once per document. Instead, *only* the footer element that is scoped
> to the document body corresponds to role="contentinfo".

<footer> defaults to not having any role but "If specified, role must
be contentinfo",[1] while <main> defaults to having a role which should
only occur once.

Perhaps there are other possibilities, but in order to implement your
idea, then I believe the best option would be to maintain that <main>
defaults to main role. But that multiple <main> elements are permitted
provided that the extra elements are specified with role that signals
"main content of this section".

<main role="main.role.of.this.section">.

But then ARIA needs to either offer such a relevant role, or one would
have to propose such a role for the next update of ARIA.  Or, if there
is no relevant ARIA role, perhaps say that <main> defaults to no role
if there is more than one <main> element on the page. (Perhaps the spec
already tells AT to ignore <main> when there is more than one the page?)

Don't know if this would be any useful. But it would complicate the use
of <main> a little bit, I think.

leif halvard silli