Re: Context of the main element

From: Jeremy Keith <jeremy@adactio.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 17:54:24 +0000
Cc: Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>, HTML WG (public-html@w3.org) <public-html@w3.org>
To: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Leif wrote:
> But if <main> was allowed to occur more than once, then it could not
> completely replace role="main": [1]
>
> ]] Within any document or application, the author SHOULD mark no more
> than one element with the main role.[[
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/complete#main

But in that same document, the contentinfo landmark role has exactly the same "should" rule:

"Within any document or application, the author SHOULD mark no more than one element with the contentinfo role"

http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/complete#contentinfo

…and yet the HTML equivalent (footer) is not restricted to being used once per document. Instead, *only* the footer element that is scoped to the document body corresponds to role="contentinfo".

All I'm suggesting is that the main element should work the same way. Otherwise we've got some very inconsistent landmark role mapping going on.

See also: role="banner"

"Within any document or application, the author SHOULD mark no more than one element with the banner role.'

http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/complete#banner

…and again the corresponding HTML element (header) *can* be used multiple times per document, but it only has the same meaning as role="banner" when it is scoped to the document body.

So main is the odd one out here.

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Keith