Re: Context of the main element

From: Bruce Lawson <brucel@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:19:11 -0000
To: public-html@w3.org
On Thu, 31 Jan 2013 18:08:37 -0000, Cameron Jones <cmhjones@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It should probably also be noted that by recommending authors to markup
> "main" content using a potentially ambiguous and indeterminate element
> instead of a distinct role="main" attribute, this element could harm web
> accessibility through the effective obsoletion of deterministic
> functionality.

<main> would be exactly the same as role=main.

> I believe that web accessibility should have one clear voice - you should
> explicitly use ARIA for accessibility markup.

I diagree. It sends the message that accessiblity is an add-on. Where
possible it should be build in to the native language, and ARIA only be
used where it's not built in.

The ARIA spec says as much: "It is expected that, over time, host
languages will evolve to provide semantics for objects that currently can
only be declared with WAI-ARIA. This is natural and desirable, as one goal
of WAI-ARIA is to help stimulate the emergence of more semantic and
accessible markup. When native semantics for a given feature become
available, it is appropriate for authors to use the native feature and
stop using WAI-ARIA for that feature. Legacy content may continue to use
WAI-ARIA, however, so the need for user agents to support WAI-ARIA
remains." http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/introduction#co-evolution

--

Bruce Lawson
Open standards evangelist