Re: using the data* attribute to identify element sub roles

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:55:36 +0100
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
CC: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
On 18/02/2013 08:26 , Steve Faulkner wrote:
> NOTE: this is just a wild idea.
>
> allow the data attribute [1] to be used to identify element sub
> roles:
>
> examples:
>
> <h1>heading</h1> <p data-p="subheading">subheading</p>
>

> <article data-article="comment"> blog post comment </article>
>
> allow data-elementname="subRole" pairs to be added to a public
> registry.
>
> thoughts?

We made a promise that data-* is an extension point. My understanding is
that we're also committed never to standardise an element or attribute
name with a dash in it (again, extensibility promise). So it would
certainly be a bad idea to hijack data-* for something we put in the
standard.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly, but it looks to me like
you'd want a subrole attribute?