Usage of Alt

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 16:47:30 +0100
To: "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>
Hi all,

as indicated in the CfC caveat for the publication of the HTML CR, in
the discussion of the AltTech specification with its objection, and, you
know, ISSUE-31, there is some amount of disagreement about the advice to
be given about our poor old alt attribute.

In order to get a feel for how it was actually used in the wild, I
quickly generated a usage report to see if we could make some useful
inferences. I don't claim that it's a solution, or that it is decisive
data, but it might help.

You can read more at: http://htmlwg.org/alt-usage/.

 From looking at the inline variant of the report, my sense is that the
HTML specification as currently drafted is not paving the cow paths.

Thoughts, suggestions for improvements, welcome.