Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Christian Kaiser <kaiserc@google.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 22:11:01 -0800
To: Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 13:09, Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 20:19:33 -0000, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:
>
>  There is currently a de facto requirement that CDMs be closed-source
>>> and/or royalty-encumbered.
>>>

>> *some* CDMs... some != all
>>

> *All* CMDs required for DRMed video. All. ClearKey is just a red herring.
>
> I think it's already been said by people representing video
> services/distributors that they are not interested in open-source/clearkey
> CDMs.

For the record, YouTube is interested in ClearKey. It's obviously subject
to negotiations and business decisions that are yet to happen, but ClearKey
may provide enough robustness for *some* use cases.
YouTube is also interested in other "shades of gray" between ClearKey and
commercial CDMs in terms of maximum robustness, so that more use cases can
be covered. It would be interesting to explore how robust an open source,
royalty-free CDM can be.

It seems like a good idea to create a "playground" that enables these kinds
of explorations. The proposal at hand does that. I hope we'll see it in
action one day.

Christian