Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Kornel Lesiński <kornel@geekhood.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 21:09:29 -0000
To: public-html@w3.org
On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 20:19:33 -0000, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

>> There is currently a de facto requirement that CDMs be closed-source
>> and/or royalty-encumbered.
>
> *some* CDMs... some != all

*All* CMDs required for DRMed video. All. ClearKey is just a red herring.

I think it's already been said by people representing video
services/distributors that they are not interested in open-source/clearkey
CDMs.

Clearly, if there was *at least one* open-source non-encumbered CDM
acceptable by whoever-controls-majority-of-commercial-video, we wouldn't
even need to other CDMs, and that ideal CDM could be just baked into the
spec.

--
regards, Kornel Lesiński