Moving forward with Issue-204

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 23:26:04 -0400
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, "Edward O'Connor" <eoconnor@apple.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>
Hello, All:

It seems that people are waiting for me to try and move Issue-204
forward. Allow me, then, to attempt in this email to cut to the core question that still
separates the two Issue-204 CPs as I understand it. Can we, or can we
not, agree to spec changes for Sec. 7.1 which will take us to a single
CP on Issue-204 and avoid the WBS process? The two CPs in question are,
of course:

While also suggesting more global author warnings, proponents of
AllowAriaReferHidden have recently sought "must" requirements (or
perhaps only "should" requirements) on user agents as respects

The rationale appears to be that to do so is no less burdensome than to
create a11y support for canvas:

Meanwhile, PF has stated it cannot accept "must" or "should" requirements on user
agents in the context of Issue-204:

Our concerns are broader than any engineering challenge. Rather, they
are very much focused on the lack of demonstrated user benefit. Indeed,
they also include concern over anticipated user harm. This was
reiterated at the recent F2F and is summarised nicely at:

So, since PF cannot accept "must" or "should" requirements on user agents
vis a vis Issue-204, can AllowAriaReferHidden accept "may" or "might"
language vis a vis user agents?

My apologies if this question was not evident from my previous postings.

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		Email:	janina@rednote.net

The Linux Foundation
Chair, Open Accessibility:	http://a11y.org