Re: Open Source implementations Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: John C. Vernaleo <john@netpurgatory.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 12:02:34 -0500 (EST)
To: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
cc: Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de>, "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com>, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012, Glenn Adams wrote:

> The issue isn't whether it can be implemented in open source software (it
> can), the issue is whether encrypted content can be decoded and presented to
> a user on a device that uses such implementation while simultaneously
> satisfying further constraints imposed by licensing terms by content
> providers who insist on using content protection with acceptable impediments
> to unauthorized access.
> If such content providers cannot be assured of such protection, then they
> may not make the content available through such means.

Saying that something can be implemented but not be used seems to be a
very odd definition of implementing to me.