Re: Open Source implementations Re: Encrypted Media proposal (was RE: ISSUE-179: av_param - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals)

From: Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 09:45:54 -0700
To: Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz@ping.de>
Cc: "HTML WG (public-html@w3.org)" <public-html@w3.org>, Adrian Bateman <adrianba@microsoft.com>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, David Dorwin <ddorwin@google.com>, Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>
The issue isn't whether it can be implemented in open source software (it
can), the issue is whether encrypted content can be decoded and presented
to a user on a device that uses such implementation while simultaneously
satisfying further constraints imposed by licensing terms by content
providers who insist on using content protection with acceptable
impediments to unauthorized access.

If such content providers cannot be assured of such protection, then they
may not make the content available through such means.

In any case, I'm not sure what you mean by "protecting users". Users of the
Web include both those who serve content and those who consume content.
Both have legitimate, if not always identical interests.

Of course, some content consumers would like to not pay for content that is
not freely given. I doubt you are suggesting that we should somehow bias
the web to favor such users over others who are willing to pay for such
content, and over content providers who wish to charge for content. Or is
that what you advocate?