Re: Split Issue 30? (was: Chair review of "Keep Longdesc Deprecated" Change Proposal)

Laura Carlson writes:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>
> > > 1. Should ARIA attributes be allowed to point to @hidden elements.
> > > 2. Should @longdesc be marked as obsolete.
> > >
> > > However it seems like issue 2 depends on issue 1. I.e. the case
> > > for marking longdesc as obsolete is stronger if ARIA is allowed to
> > > point to hidden elements.
> > >
> > > Would it be possible to ensure that we decide on 1 before we poll
> > > on 2?
>
> The more I think about this, the more it just doesn't seem right.
>
> It seems that splitting off and then re-ordering issues as proposed
> above is to be used as a scheme to strengthen the effort to kill off
> longdesc.

Or the opposite, surely? If the answer to question 1 above is deemed to
be 'no' then it strengthens the case for longdesc in question 2.

As somebody without a vested interest in any direction at all, I'd much
rather consider question 2 in the full knowledge of which way question 1
has been determined, so that I make any appropriate objections from a
position of knowledge, rather than trying to guess which way question 1
will go.

And the matter of which question logically depends on the other is
unaffected by the order in which the issues were initially raised. I
want us to produce the best possible HTML we can for the long term, even
if that sometimes means the short-term dissatisfaction of dealing with
issues in a different order from that in which they were raised.

As long as we do deal with all issues, then as soon as we have done the
order in which we got there becomes an unimportant quirk of history.

Cheers

Smylers