Re: Using an image map for long described image links [Was: Revert Request]

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 6:25 AM, Matthew Turvey <mcturvey@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think this is more an argument for a generalised solution for
> putting multiple links (or commands) on any element.
>
> For example, your previous email outlined a scenario where an author
> may want to put an image description link and a big raw JPG link on an
> image. In this case, a longdesc could provide context menu access to
> the image description. But another author may think it makes more
> sense to put the image description as the normal link, and a link to
> the raw JPG (or links to several different JPG sizes) on the context
> menu. Is there anything we need to add to HTML5 to support this
> general use case?

I've been wondering about this. Maybe we should introduce a general
HTML attribute called @info or @iref or something similar that
provides a (potentially secondary) URL to any element. This URL would
be exposed when exposing tooltips by showing a special icon, e.g. a
triangle with a "!" and people can special click on it (e.g.
CTRL-click or so) to follow it. For screenreaders it would read out
"additional information available" so if you wanted to follow it, you
could read a long description of what the element is about. This would
work particularly well for audio, video and images (i.e. anything that
has exernal resources), but could also work for term definitions or
so. I'm particularly reminded of websites that pull in content from
other sites, but enrich the keywords with hyperlinks to their
definition.

Might be an idea.. and would solve the longdesc case as well as the
transcript case for videos.

Cheers,
Silvia.