Re: ISSUE-30 longdesc - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 09:30:39 -0400
To: Matthew Turvey <mcturvey@gmail.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, schwer@us.ibm.com, Marco.Ranon@rnib.org.uk, jfoliot@stanford.edu, laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com, chaals@opera.com, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Matthew Turvey writes:
> Is there any support for making longdesc obsolete but conforming?
>
> Could the members of this working group and PFWG live with closing
> this issue by amicable consensus if we make longdesc obsolete but
> conforming?

I'm willing to test this in PF. However, with all the significant
enhancements for longdesc in the current proposal put forth by Laura and
supported by the a11y TF, I would expect we would want those
enhancements in HTML 5 regardless of whether we settle on "conforming"
or on "obsolete but conforming." In other words, I doubt there'd by any
support for retaining the existing HTML 4 longdesc.

Janina

--

Janina Sajka,	Phone:	+1.443.300.2200
		sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net