Re: Editorial Assistants

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 03:00:28 -0700
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
To: Mark Watson <watsonm@netflix.com>

On Jun 20, 2011, at 2:09 AM, Mark Watson wrote:

> Maciej,
>
> I think this is an excellent idea. Although I very much doubt anyone would want to refuse an offer of help from a prospective Editorial Assistant, shouldn't the appointments be formally made by the Working Group rather than by the Chairs ? We are supposed to be consensus-based, are we not ?

The W3C Process says that Editors are appointed by the Chairs:

"Every technical report published as part of the technical report development process is edited by one or more editors appointed by a Working Group Chair. "
<http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#DocumentsGeneral>

We consider Editorial Assistants to be part of an Editorial team and therefore appointing them is per-Process a Chair responsibility.

Advice on the topic is welcome, including third-party nominations, but please send these privately as I am not sure a public discussion of a specific person's qualifications would be healthy for the WG.

Regards,
Maciej