Re: ISSUE-30 longdesc - Chairs Solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: Matthew Turvey <mcturvey@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 15:30:21 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org
Cc: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, janina@rednote.net, schwer@us.ibm.com, Marco.Ranon@rnib.org.uk, jfoliot@stanford.edu, laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com, chaals@opera.com, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
I'd like to volunteer to write a no change proposal for this issue.
I've discussed briefly with Jonas and we may merge together whatever
we come up with.

I could possibly also write a change proposal to make the case for
changing the message displayed by the validator for longdesc from
error to warning, like Maciej's previous CP:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/LongdescConformingWithWarning

As I understand it, this option would only require moving longdesc
from the obsolete list to the obsolete but conforming list in the
current draft:

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/obsolete.html

and updating the validator accordingly. This option would presumably
satisfy PFWG's concerns.

Maciej's proposal did not get much support in the group last time, so
I don't want to spend time on it if that's still the case.

Is there any support for making longdesc obsolete but conforming?

Could the members of this working group and PFWG live with closing
this issue by amicable consensus if we make longdesc obsolete but
conforming?

-Matt