Re: hit testing and retained graphics

Hi Paniz,

I am not sure if I am answering your question but you could create these
objects on canvas and create equivalents in the canvas subtree whereby the
canvas is a rendering of the HTML element in the canvas subtree and you can
give it any size and dimension you want. All the elements in canvas subtree
could be placed in the keyboard navigation order. If you wanted to create a
canvas rendering of a checkbox in the fallback content, on the canvas that
was 70X70 you can do it. You control the drawing. Accessibility wise I
don't yet have a way to communicate those bounds to the accessibility API.
This is what we have been discussing. We have been discussing creating a
drawing path on canvas that represents the bounds of the object, binding it
to the canvas subtree element (which is in the keyboard navigation order).
In doing so we would have the user agent to do hit testing on the drawing
objects in canvas and pass the pointing event to the corresponding object
in the accessibility subtree. The bounds of the object used for hit testing
would be passed to the corresponding accessible object (corresponding the
to the DOM element in the subtree). Now a magnifier would know how to zoom
to the corresponding 70x70 checkbox on the canvas.

To be honest, this is not new. This is how desktops like Windows work. You
have a graphic on the screen bound to a COM object which supports MSAA. The
MSAA bounding  rectangle is retrieved from the retained mode graphic.
We are arguing for putting this capability into canvas.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group