Re: hit testing and retained graphics

From: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 13:37:49 +0100
To: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Cc: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, "E.J. Zufelt" <everett@zufelt.ca>, Paul Bakaus <pbakaus@zynga.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, "david.bolter@gmail.com" <david.bolter@gmail.com>, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, "Mike@w3.org" <Mike@w3.org>, "public-canvas-api@w3.org" <public-canvas-api@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
Hi ben,

Also, in practice, such AT tends to have additional features like
reading out the text in focus, re-rendering the text at higher zoom.
Remote AT is better placed to do those things,
and I think users would expect those features to work. So I'm not sure
of the advantage of taking a slice of current functionality and trying
to deliver that to local AT?

it is true screen magnifiers come in all shapes and sizes, i myself have
zoomtext 9.1 magnifier/reader. I have friends who have only the magnifier
version as they don't want or require the reading function.

Providing such a basic feature as programatic focus on areas of the canvas
will be the difference between interactive canvas content being usable or
unusable for some users.

regards
stevef

--