Re: hit testing and retained graphics

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 10:49:09 +0100
To: Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, "E.J. Zufelt" <everett@zufelt.ca>, Paul Bakaus <pbakaus@zynga.com>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@microsoft.com>, "david.bolter@gmail.com" <david.bolter@gmail.com>, Frank Olivier <Frank.Olivier@microsoft.com>, "Mike@w3.org" <Mike@w3.org>, "public-canvas-api@w3.org" <public-canvas-api@w3.org>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "public-html-a11y@w3.org" <public-html-a11y@w3.org>
On Sun, Jul 3, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought I was clear, I have been talking about the screen magnifier case ,
> not the general AT case. The only information that would need to be provided
> from the remote machine is the size and position of the focused object, this
> could then be used to provide the focus information to the local
> accessibility layer.

You're still going to need custom code to get this information out of
custom views
on the remote side.

Also, in practice, such AT tends to have additional features like
reading out the text in focus, re-rendering the text at higher zoom.
Remote AT is better placed to do those things,
and I think users would expect those features to work. So I'm not sure
of the advantage of taking a slice of current functionality and trying
to deliver that to local AT?

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis