RE: HTML 5 (sic) and A11y

From: Dailey, David P. <david.dailey@sru.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:19:52 -0500
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
CC: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, HTML Accessibility Task Force <public-html-a11y@w3.org>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Hi Sam,

you wrote:

>I will note that the W3C has not moved to a living standards model.
>Unless somebody wants to advocate that the W3C do so, I would like to
>suggest that anybody who wishes to discuss this topic further do so
>elsewhere.  At the very minimum, please drop public-html from the cc list

Good and +!

Given that W3C is now thinking about a logo for HTML5, perhaps it is time to differentiate between HTML5(W3C) and HTML5(WHATWG). Perhaps the former co-chair Chris Wilson of Microsoft and I foresaw this moment [1].

The recommendation would be that the living spec be called (at least by the standards body)
HTML 5.<span style="text-decoration: overline">5</span>. I can imagine a very cool logo for that (it would, of course, use both recursion and SMIL and rewrite itself dynamically!).

Cheers
David

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/0225.html