Re: Draft HTML5 licensing survey

From: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 11:58:41 -0400
To: Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org>
CC: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, Paul Cotton <Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On 04/26/2011 10:51 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
> On 25/04/11 04:33, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> In this case, I have relevant first-hand knowledge. Specifically, I
>> expect poll survey from Apple representatives would support an MIT
>> license but not CC0.
>
> Are you able to say why that is?
>
> I would add our voice to those requesting additional options in the
> poll, given that they seem to reflect the actual opinion of a number of
> participants. If Apple which to say yes to MIT and no to CC0, it doesn't
> seem to me to be technically or organizationally complicated to have
> both options.
>
> These licences are widely used enough that I suspect involved companies
> have legal understanding of them already, so little further work would
> be required.

While some sort of accommodation for input relating to additional
options is likely to be in the next draft of the poll; a specific option
for MIT is not likely to be included as we have yet to have somebody
specifically advocate for that option.

> Gerv

- Sam Ruby