Re: Draft HTML5 licensing survey

On Apr 24, 2011, at 8:06 PM, Tantek Çelik wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 19:42, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

>>> I don't believe anyone who supports a permissive license feels very
>>> strongly about which one exactly should be chosen.  For the purposes
>>> of the present discussion, it makes the most sense to me to have a
>>> single fourth option.  It could either ask whether we support "a
>>> preexisting widely-used permissive license, such as MIT, CC0, or the
>>> three-clause BSD license" (or some words to that effect); or it could
>>> pick a single representative license, such as CC0.  I don't think it
>>> would serve any purpose to have separate options for MIT and CC0 at
>>> this stage.  If the W3C administration does wind up allowing a
>>> permissive license to be used, the details can be worked out later.
>>
>> I believe there is a nonzero number of people who would support an MIT-style license but not CC0.
>
> With all due respect, what is the utility of asserting/supposing
> alternate 3rd party opinions [1] ?
>
> Currently there are zero such people who have emailed the list. If
> there are such individuals, they can email the list themselves;
> otherwise hypothesizing their existence is not useful.

In this case, I have relevant first-hand knowledge. Specifically, I expect poll survey from Apple representatives would support an MIT license but not CC0. I am not interested in pushing for either of these licenses specifically. All I am suggesting is that "MIT or CC0" would be an ambiguous option which some people may have a hard time responding to. WG members are welcome to take this into account when making suggestions on construction of the poll, if they wish.

Regards,
Maciej