Re: Draft HTML5 licensing survey

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 1:06 PM, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 19:42, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

>>> I don't believe anyone who supports a permissive license feels very
>>> strongly about which one exactly should be chosen.  For the purposes
>>> of the present discussion, it makes the most sense to me to have a
>>> single fourth option.  It could either ask whether we support "a
>>> preexisting widely-used permissive license, such as MIT, CC0, or the
>>> three-clause BSD license" (or some words to that effect); or it could
>>> pick a single representative license, such as CC0.  I don't think it
>>> would serve any purpose to have separate options for MIT and CC0 at
>>> this stage.  If the W3C administration does wind up allowing a
>>> permissive license to be used, the details can be worked out later.
>>
>> I believe there is a nonzero number of people who would support an MIT-style license but not CC0.
>
> With all due respect, what is the utility of asserting/supposing
> alternate 3rd party opinions [1] ?
>
> Currently there are zero such people who have emailed the list. If
> there are such individuals, they can email the list themselves;
> otherwise hypothesizing their existence is not useful.
>

>> but since CC0 was the proposal, I assume at least some people prefer that.
>
> There are at least 3 individuals / organizations who have explicitly
> sent email to this list proposing/supporting CC0, so yes, including
> that amongst the choices is a logical step.
>

>> I don't know if the converse is true
>
> I for one prefer CC0 over "MIT-style" due to the ambiguity of the
> latter and in particular the fact that CC0 has been
> written/checked/accepted by Creative Commons' lawyers explicitly
> taking into account international laws/jurisdictions regarding
> copyright.

It can't hurt to have both CC0 and MIT-style listed as alternative
options and an additional comment box for people that are actually
keen for a license not mentioned in any discussions yet.

The analysis of the results can then aggregate such permissive license
votes if that is all the information that is required to answer a
simple question of votes for/against such a license. But at least you
have the information on individuals and can also do more detailed data
analysis on the survey.

Cheers,
Silvia.