Re: Systematic access to media/plugin metadata

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 15:21 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
> The rights to the metadata are orthogonal to means of access, and in
> any case I'm not convinced it's a real issue - if you have permission
> to use the image, why should the metadata it contains be excluded?

JavaScript programs don't have access to different-origin image pixels
(without the participation of the server hosting the image).

Note that "use" is vague. A JavaScript program it permitted to paint a
different-origin image for the user to see even though the program isn't
permitted to read the pixel data.

Also note that "rights" tends to imply things like copyright. This isn't
about that. It's about exposing confidential data that is behind a
firewall or behind ambient (cookie or HTTP auth) login.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi