Re: Systematic access to media/plugin metadata

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:45:56 +0200
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Cc: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, public-html@w3.org
On 13 April 2011 16:24, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 15:21 +0200, Danny Ayers wrote:
>> The rights to the metadata are orthogonal to means of access, and in
>> any case I'm not convinced it's a real issue - if you have permission
>> to use the image, why should the metadata it contains be excluded?
>
> JavaScript programs don't have access to different-origin image pixels
> (without the participation of the server hosting the image).
>
> Note that "use" is vague. A JavaScript program it permitted to paint a
> different-origin image for the user to see even though the program isn't
> permitted to read the pixel data.

Vague, ok - yes, I'd forgotten that CORS applied to images. But that
still doesn't invalidate the question - if you *do* otherwise have
full access to the image (same-server or something served with an open
access control header), why should you not be able to access the
metadata via Javascript?

What would be helpful here is if you could say why you think offering
simple, consistent access to an image/media object's metadata is a bad
idea. If there's some fundamental reason I'm missing I'd like to hear
it so I can forget about the whole thing...

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name