Re: Systematic access to media/plugin metadata

On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 14:15 +0200, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
> Something like <http://www.w3.org/TR/mediaont-api-1.0/> might be a
> better
> approach, even though I don't think that API is suitable for
> implementation in browsers as-is.

The spec says "The API is implemented in a user agent (e.g., browser or
browser plugin) and exposed as a JavaScript API (using the WebIDL
JavaScript binding)."

Yet, the API spec is silent on basic stuff required of browser API
design such as saying what happens if getProperty is called on a media
element whose external media resource hasn't been loaded yet. This and
your assessment that the API isn't suitable for implementation in
browsers make me wonder if there are there any browser vendors who are
planning to implement this API and are carefully reviewing it for
suitability for implementation in browsers. (It seems like a bad idea to
spec an API for a class of products if there isn't interest in
implementation and review among vendors of the class of products.)

Are there browser vendors planning to implement this API?

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi