Re: Systematic access to media/plugin metadata

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 12:14:10 -0500
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>, Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Hi Henri, Danny, Silvia, and everyone,

Henri wrote [1]:

> I think any work in this area should be firmly grounded in use cases.

In 2009 I started a page in the previous PF ESW Wiki regarding a way
to directly access EXIF, IPTC, XMP image desciptions. The page has a
couple of exposing metadata use cases. I put a copy of  that page on
the HTML Wiki today and added a bit about exposing via browsers like
has been done with longdesc.

This new page is at:
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/Metadata

Everyone please feel free to add other use cases to that page.

Silvia, maybe accessing video and audio transcripts would be a another
use case to add. I don't know. Would that be applicable? Transcripts
may be embedded in a video but when people are on a dialup modem, (I
am a majority of the time), they have no way to obtain that transcript
unless the author remembers to supply a link to the transcript in the
body of the document. In this use case they are locked out of all
video content.

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Apr/0238.html