Re: Systematic access to media/plugin metadata

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:16:22 +0300
To: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Cc: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth@adobe.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Sat, 2011-04-09 at 21:04 +1000, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> Maybe we can have a mediaMetadata struct that has
> those (if available) plus an additional type field (e.g. XMP) similar
> to what you suggested, so it would be possible for an author to use
> another means to extract that more specific metadata.

Do you mean the API would give the caller the source text of the XMP
blob and the implementation of the API (a browser) wouldn't include an
RDF processor? (Even so, getting this close to XMP looks like a slippery
slope towards including various RDF machinery next.)

I think any work in this area should be firmly grounded in use cases.
(So far, the Danny's use case of building a content indexer for a
client-side search engine or catalog doesn't seem compelling enough to
me to bother extending the platform, because content indexing seems to
be an area that is distinctly well-suited for the *server* side.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi