Re: Request to Revert revision 1.4525

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 01:31:06 -0700
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>

On Oct 28, 2010, at 1:09 AM, Simon Pieters wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 09:28:01 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyway, now that it has been brought up - what do you think of the warning box in the recently published Navigation Timing Working Draft:
>> <http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-navigation-timing-20101026/>?
>>
>> How would others in the WG feel about a similar warning box in the status section of HTML WG drafts?
>
> I don't care what the text is, but I think the message should be visible anywhere you end up in the spec -- people often search for a specific section of the spec and thus never see the SotD.

My personal preference would be not to have a constantly visible message (since that gets distracting), but rather something that is at least partly visible in the first screenful of content on a reasonable-size screen. That seems to be the case for the Navigation Timing warning box, but the HTML5 draft at least has much lengthier front matter.

I suspect removing all but one of the previous version links and putting the warning higher up in the SotD would do the trick.

Note: these are just personal preferences and I am not inclined to be pushy about them if the WG prefers otherwise.

Regards,
Maciej