Re: draft HTML5: Techniques for the provision of text alternatives

From: Smylers <Smylers@stripey.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 16:01:39 +0000
To: public-html@w3.org
Dr. Olaf Hoffmann writes:

> Tab Atkins Jr.:
>
> > 2010/1/19 Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>:
> >
> > > Well several members of the working group convinced me in the
> > > previous discussions, that HTML5 is not the right place for
> > > poetry, literature or text
> >
> > Could you point out where someone said this?  That sounds
> > ridiculous,
>
> Smylers: 'HTML is too rudimentary to mark up poems precisely -- among
> many other things.'
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0392.html

Hi Olaf.  To clarify, I think that HTML5 is absolutely fine for marking
up poetry, literature, and other text; I did not intend my quote above
to be interpreted as an argument against that.

I acknowledge that poems can't be marked up _precisely_ (that is, in a
way which denotes lines and verses) with HTML5.  But most instances of
poems on webpages have no need of such fine-grained mark-up; in which
case HTML5 does just fine.

Apologies for any confusion.

Smylers