Re: Decentralised extensibility idea (ISSUE-41)

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 20:16:20 +0100
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Toby Inkster, Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:52:06 +0000:
> On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 09:39 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> I'm making a stronger point than that, though.  Even in the presence
>> of just a single extension, you are unable to extract the data unless
>> you specifically know the extension being used.  You require vocab
>> knowledge just to disambiguate it from HTML itself.
>
> Indeed. Extraction of data by generic agents is not intended to be a use
> case the proposal satisfies. If you consider this to be a problem, note
> that this problem also applies to the existing method of extensibility
> suggested by the HTML5 draft (i.e. extensibility by becoming an
> "applicable specification").
>
> The advantage that my DE proposal has over "applicable specification
> extensibility" are: scoped URI-based opt-in; and well-established
> fallback parsing, behaviour and rendering.

It struck me that D.E. via @class, @data-* and @profile has some
similarity with Maciej's idea about D.E. via custom attributes [1].
Here I quote a start tag example of what Maciej had in mind [3]:

Maciej's example would be possible via the @profile/@class/@data-* D.E.
proposal as well though:

        -moz-rotating-sphere" profile="uri" ></div>

So, Maciej, what's your view of Toby's proposal? Personally, My view is
that unless your proposal allows authors to make the custom attributes
valid, then your proposal will only work for vendors - as only the big
browser vendors can afford to recommend un-validating attributes.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Oct/0894

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Oct/0825

[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Oct/0895

--