Re: Decentralised extensibility idea (ISSUE-41)

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 17:52:06 +0000
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Philip J├Ągenstedt <philipj@opera.com>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 09:39 -0800, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> I'm making a stronger point than that, though.  Even in the presence
> of just a single extension, you are unable to extract the data unless
> you specifically know the extension being used.  You require vocab
> knowledge just to disambiguate it from HTML itself.

Indeed. Extraction of data by generic agents is not intended to be a use
case the proposal satisfies. If you consider this to be a problem, note
that this problem also applies to the existing method of extensibility
suggested by the HTML5 draft (i.e. extensibility by becoming an
"applicable specification").

The advantage that my DE proposal has over "applicable specification
extensibility" are: scoped URI-based opt-in; and well-established
fallback parsing, behaviour and rendering.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>