Re: <iframe doc="">

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>
To: "Joe D Williams" <joedwil@earthlink.net>
Cc: <public-html@w3.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: <iframe doc="">

> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Joe D Williams wrote:

>> There are a bunch of good reasons to reject this, I think, but one
>> is
>> that xml parsers are not wired that way.
>
> Wired which way?

To treat attribute values one way and content another.

> In XML, assuming we make hte attribute take an XML blob,

That is what you have, without special treatment. A possibly xml blob
that should result in a valid nested context and/or some slang html
needing fixups that starts =mime escapedcontent until the next
whatever after the second separator and ends with whatever terminates
an attribute value.

> you would just start an XML parser and pass it the contents of the
> attribute, which seems reasonably straight-forward.

Maybe seems reasonable is OK to discuss, but is it really worth the
effort?

Yes, it is easy, I am sure for the leading parsmeiesters of our times.
But please perform this task using the best open xml parsers/loaders
and modelers you have. Just, after the =switch from treating that
string as an attribute value completely over to treating the string as
actual content for its parent, then back again just before you find
whatever terminates the attribute string or find the next </iframe>.

> The reason for specifying this is that a browser vendor asked for it
> to be specced so that they could implement it experimentally.

OK. Also please include in this discussion considerations for
processing of @data in <object> and src in <embed>.

I would hope that before any browser vendor asked for a detailed spec
change they would have at least tried it to see if it could work and
presented a paper or two on the topic. Really, as far as html and xml
goes, this is big stuff.

OK, given that we have a couple of browsers that have mastered
seamless and sandboxed, I would also like to play and see how this
might work. In the meantime, how about some proofs and development of
@seamless and @sandbox?

>> As usual, I would ask for other examples of this in html5.
>
> Examples of similar "markup within markup" features include any
> URL-accepting attribute (via data:), innerHTML,
> insertAdjacentHTML(),
> outerHTML, document.write(), <noscript>, <iframe>-fallback, and
> <script>
> with an XML MIME type.

more back on some of these later, but please eliminate any scripted
DOM building from this example comparison, Sure a proof of working
would be that you get the same whether you create it by script or
include it as what might be called 'inline' html in an attribute
string.
Sure it is like document.write() in a sense of what has to be the
result of done.
So now the content management template page benerator can unscript
this part and add content management content here as an attriburte
value instead of a url, as an attribute, instead?

Basically, if you already know what should go into the iframe without
@src then why not just include this content as real html like
<iframe>html5codehere</iframe>
? That is the 'correct' location for content you wish to be parsed and
rendered.

> <iframe>-fallback

What, we can't find content?

>> Essentially, in this, the browser gets to grab that attribute value
>> string and do a document.write except the root of that document
>> must be
>> the parent iframe.
>
> Not sure what you mean here.

iframe content is a nested context.
The DOM created for iframe may be hidden from the host DOM and
vice-versa.

Anyway, I think this experiment is out of scope because it slashes too
deep into xml at this time when the browsers aren't even proving they
all understand the iframe that is in front of them now.

> > The reason for specifying this is that a browser vendor ...

Let that vendor show mastery of the current iframe space before going
to entirely new territory. That would be premiere leadership

Thanks and Best Regards,
Joe