Re: <iframe doc="">

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010, Joe D Williams wrote:

> There are a bunch of good reasons to reject this, I think, but one is
> that xml parsers are not wired that way.

Wired which way? In XML, assuming we make hte attribute take an XML blob,
you would just start an XML parser and pass it the contents of the
attribute, which seems reasonably straight-forward.

> As usual, I would ask for other examples of this in html5.

Examples of similar "markup within markup" features include any
URL-accepting attribute (via data:), innerHTML, insertAdjacentHTML(),
with an XML MIME type.

> Essentially, in this, the browser gets to grab that attribute value
> string and do a document.write except the root of that document must be
> the parent iframe.

Not sure what you mean here.

> Besides, why should the first time we see proposed spec text for this or
> any be in the spec?

That's how the group is chartered to work.

> Why not show the text for new IDL and propsed defintions here first.

The IDL would be simple:

   attribute DOMString doc; /* or "body", need to examine that suggestion */

I think the semantics of the attribute have been pretty much described to
death in this thread by this point, I don't propose to do anything
different than what has been suggested so far.

> To get this New idea in the spec, a couple of browsers should first be
> showing this as workable and usable, not the other way around where the
> standard is defining somethng that has never? actually worked for anyone
> but seems at first sight like it may be novel and might even be userful.

The reason for specifying this is that a browser vendor asked for it to be
specced so that they could implement it experimentally.