Re: New split-out drafts

Sorry, accidentally only replied to Hixie here originally, resending
to the full list:

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 4:00 PM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> As part of addressing some bugs over the past few days, I've reorganised
> the HTML5 spec into a number of subspecs.
>
>   http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/spec/Overview.html?content-type=text/html
>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/vocabulary/Overview.html
>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/core/Overview.html
>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/md/Overview.html
>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/2dcontext/Overview.html
>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/postmsg/Overview.html
>
> I'd like to propose that we public FPWDs for these new drafts (all but the
> first once above, which we've already published; presumably a regular WD
> would be suitable at this time for that draft).

The split between "vocabulary" and "core" is very awkward. For example
several attributes are defined in the "core" spec, whereas I would
have expected them all to be defined in the "vocabulary" spec.

I support the idea of splitting out things like the Window object,
browsing context, History, and similar things that aren't actually
HTML specific. However I don't think the split between these two
documents are currently good and will ultimately lead to more
confusion and complexity, than it helps with those things.

Thus I reluctantly suggest that these two documents be merged back
together again. At least for now. Alternatively, if the split could be
made better before we publish, that would be ok too.

I support the publication of the other specifications though.

/ Jonas