Re: ISSUE-31: missing-alt & ISSUE-80: title-alternative - Chairs solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 02:12:10 +0000 (UTC)
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> The current status for these issues:
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-031
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html#ISSUE-080
>
> - There are a number of points of disagreement on how text alternatives for
> images should be handled.
>
> http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/text-level-semantics.html#the-img-element
>
> - We have several change proposals submitted; these have some overlap but are
> at least partly independent:
>
>  * Remove specific alternate text requirements for various specific cases of
> img and replace with reference to external document.
>    <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20091209>
>
>  * Change treatment of role=presentation, aria-labeledy and title in
> determining what an image element represents.
>    <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20091203>
>
>  * Change conformance checker requirements for img.
>    <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20090126>

As far as I know, all of the above have since been given corresponding
bugs, and a number of these change proposals have thus had parts
incorporated into the current spec. Rather than having a very vague and
wide-reaching issue for these, could I suggest that we instead handle the
specific concerns via narrowly-focused issues resulting from escalation of
the relevant rejected bugs? Several of them are still in the "needs info"
stage, and it would be confusing to have multiple parallel discussions on
those topics.