ISSUE-31: missing-alt & ISSUE-80: title-alternative - Chairs solicit Alternate Proposals or Counter-Proposals

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:06:53 -0800
To: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

The current status for these issues:

- There are a number of points of disagreement on how text
alternatives for images should be handled.

http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/text-level-semantics.html#the-img-element

- We have several change proposals submitted; these have some overlap
but are at least partly independent:

   * Remove specific alternate text requirements for various specific
cases of img and replace with reference to external document.
     <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20091209>

   * Change treatment of role=presentation, aria-labeledy and title in
determining what an image element represents.
     <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20091203>

   * Change conformance checker requirements for img.
     <http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/ImgElement20090126>

The current draft was produced before we instituted the current
process requiring rationale in commit messages, so if there are
anybody who prefers the draft as it is what we need is a Change
Proposal (possibly with "zero edits" as the Proposal Details).

In addition, at this time the Chairs would also like to solicit
alternate Change Proposals, in case anyone would like to advocate a
different change than the specific ones in the existing Change
Proposals.

If no counter-proposals or alternate proposals are received by March
23rd, 2010, we will proceed towards a decision based on the currently
submitted set of Change Proposals.

Regards,
Maciej