Re: Zero-edits Counter Proposal for Issues 1 and 2 (Ping)

On 17.02.2010 22:17, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2010, at 7:41 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> On 17.02.2010 16:30, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> ..
>>> It's possible that we could define a new method for @ping, call it
>>> PING. It would still be "unsafe", that is, not idempotent, by
>>> definition. I'm not sure what possible benefits this could bring over
>>> just using POST, though.
>>
>> "safe" and "idempotent" are different things.
>
> Aren't all "safe" methods also "idempotent" by definition?

Almost.

Except for the side effects that a safe method is allowed to have, such
incrementing hit counters etc.:

"Naturally, it is not possible to ensure that the server does not
generate side-effects as a result of performing a GET request; in fact,
some dynamic resources consider that a feature. The important
distinction here is that the user did not request the side-effects, so
therefore cannot be held accountable for them."

If you ignore those potential side effects as self-inflicted by the
server (and not requested by the user), then yes, a safe method is also
idempotent.

Best regards, Julian