Re: clarification on Adobe Blocking

Shelley Powers wrote:
> At least two members of this team, Ian Hickson[1] and Anne van
> Kesteren[2], representing Google and Opera, respectively, have been
> writing this morning that Adobe is officially blocking publication of
> HTML5. This type of communication could cause FUD among the community of
> users, and should be addressed as soon as possible.
>
> There was something in the minutes yesterday about a formal objection
> from Larry Masinter [3], but the emails in this regard went to a
> protected email list. However, Larry has discussed in the www-archive
> list[4], a publicly accessible list, his objections to the publication
> of Microdata, the RDFa document, and the Canvas 2D API, but not the
> HTML5 document, itself. And the concerns I've read in this list have to
> do with charter and scope -- a reasonable concern, I feel. Others of us
> have also expressed a similar concern.
>
> An unfortunate consequence of lumping multiple documents into one CfC is
> that there is some confusion about when an action or objection is made
> against one, it seems to be against all. Yet, and co-chairs, correct me
> if I'm wrong, but we can object to any one of the documents, and it
> won't hold up up the publications of the others. The lump CfC was a
> procedural short cut, not an actual formal grouping.
>
> As far as we know of, there is no Formal Objection blocking the
> publication of HTML5...correct?

I can only say that my understanding is incomplete.  I was not copied on
the Formal Objection, and while Paul requested that Larry post the
substance of his objection on public-html yesterday, and Larry indicated
that he would do so, to the best of my knowledge this has not been done.

The best I can piece together the substance can be found here (member only):

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-archive/2010Feb/0100.html

Ultimately, it appears that the original request can be found here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Jan/1436.html

And there was a related, but brief discussion which can be found here:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2010Feb/0006.html

I have yet to find any bug reports related to this matter.  If anybody
finds one, I would appreciate a link.  Additionally, if anybody can find
a way to achieve amicable resolution of this matter with Larry and
Adobe, I encourage them to do so.

> Shelley
>
> [1] http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1265967771&count=1
> <http://ln.hixie.ch/?start=1265967771&count=1>