Re: clarification on Adobe Blocking

On Feb 12, 2010, at 6:09 AM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> At least two members of this team, Ian Hickson[1] and Anne van
> Kesteren[2], representing Google and Opera, respectively, have been
> writing this morning that Adobe is officially blocking publication
> of HTML5. This type of communication could cause FUD among the
> community of users, and should be addressed as soon as possible.
>
> There was something in the minutes yesterday about a formal
> objection from Larry Masinter [3], but the emails in this regard
> went to a protected email list. However, Larry has discussed in the
> www-archive list[4], a publicly accessible list, his objections to
> the publication of Microdata, the RDFa document, and the Canvas 2D
> API, but not the HTML5 document, itself. And the concerns I've read
> in this list have to do with charter and scope -- a reasonable
> concern, I feel. Others of us have also expressed a similar concern.
>
> An unfortunate consequence of lumping multiple documents into one
> CfC is that there is some confusion about when an action or
> objection is made against one, it seems to be against all. Yet, and
> co-chairs, correct me if I'm wrong, but we can object to any one of
> the documents, and it won't hold up up the publications of the
> others. The lump CfC was a procedural short cut, not an actual
> formal grouping.
>
> As far as we know of, there is no Formal Objection blocking the
> publication of HTML5...correct?

So far as I am aware, any objections that have been made were in
Member-only space and via private contact to the W3C Team. Those with
Member access can see some of the relevant email here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-archive/2010Feb/0100.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-archive/2010Feb/0108.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-archive/2010Feb/0110.html

Since w3c-archive is Member-confidential, I'm not sure if I can convey
any more information than that on a public list. It is up to the
persons involved to decide whether to post any information publicly.

As for Larry's charter scope inquiry on www-archive, this message
presents the conclusion of the HTML WG Chairs and Team Contacts on
discussing it:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2010Feb/0016.html

Regards,
Maciej