Re: Integration of HTM

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 14:18:04 +1300
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Cc: David Bolter <david.bolter@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org
On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> I am concerned however about overlaying the canvas with 0.01 opacity divs.
> I expect this will have a negative impact on canvas rendering performance,
> especially if there are significant animations. Because even though 0.01
> opacity likely won't draw anything visible, the browser still has to render
> and composite the content on top of the canvas.

In the future we can probably expect most browsers to use graphics hardware
in a way that makes the compositing cheap/free. However, opacity:epsilon
does seem rather ugly. Wouldn't opacity:0 work here? In Gecko at least that
would optimize away almost all rendering (while still catching events).

I am also wondering how this technique can be extended to control target
> areas that are not rectangles.

I'm wondering that too. I wonder if it would make sense to add some kind of
canvas API that lets you associate an element with the current path. Mmm,
sounds like image maps :-).

Rob
53:5-6]