Re: Integration of HTM

Hi David,

On Feb 8, 2010, at 1:10 PM, David Bolter wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> So I hacked two examples using straight JS+ARIA+canvas before the canvas a11y call this afternoon. They aren't polished but I thought I should share them as soon as possible. Note these examples are subject to change.
>
> http://people.mozilla.com/~dbolter/canvas/
>
> Tested on FF with the NVDA screen reader.

This approach is intriguing, because it works on today's canvas-supporting browsers without the need to change them to present the <canvas> element's DOM children to assistive technologies.

I am concerned however about overlaying the canvas with 0.01 opacity divs. I expect this will have a negative impact on canvas rendering performance, especially if there are significant animations. Because even though 0.01 opacity likely won't draw anything visible, the browser still has to render and composite the content on top of the canvas.

I am also wondering how this technique can be extended to control target areas that are not rectangles.

Regards,
Maciej