(unknown charset) <!--> and HTML5

From: (unknown charset) Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 04:29:05 +0100
To: (unknown charset) HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>
Is there any reasoning behind forbidding comments that looks like this:
"<!--> -->" (Comparably, this is  not forbidden: "<!-- <!-->")

The forbidden comment is permitted in both XHTML and HTML4.  Hence it
would be practical that it was permitted in HTML5 as well.

Is it a security concern? If yes, then how? And why aren't the other
variant that I mentioned above, also a security concern?

Or is it a "all user agents must behave the same way" concern?

For the record, I noticed that Webkit in Quirks mode  will interpret
'<!-->' as a single comment.
--
leif halvard silli