Re: what is dt? use of summary in Figure

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 10:15:22 -0500
To: Shelley Powers <shelleyp@burningbird.net>
Cc: Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>, Lars Gunther <gunther@keryx.se>, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, public-html@w3.org
On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 9:24 AM, Shelley Powers
<shelleyp@burningbird.net> wrote:
> I may be too limited in my viewpoint, but I'm not particularly concerned
> about legacy browsers, because we're not talking about legacy HTML.

You are.  If something doesn't work in legacy browsers, and I can't
hack around it (with the acceptableness of the hack depending on the
difficulty of performing it and the value of the element), I won't use
it when writing pages, nor will many/most other authors.

> Regardless--with appreciations for note and caution--we should probably
> focus on topic thread, which is replacements for dt/dd where they're used
> outside of dl.

<figure> it's confusing.  I'm putting my money on <h1>.  It has some
minor default display issues, but nothing major in my book (basically
identical to the problems inherent in using <h1> for all your
headings, which apparently aren't bad enough to kill that feature).

~TJ