Re: what is dt? use of summary in Figure

Simon Pieters wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 15:26:47 +0200, Shelley Powers
> <shelleyp@burningbird.net> wrote:
>
>> Laura Carlson wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> What about using a <summary> as a generalized element with <details>
>>> etc. Leif mentioned  this previously.
>>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2009Jun/0045.html
>
>> This strikes me as an interesting proposal, and when it comes to
>> Figure, has been proposed by others[1]. The rejection of the idea,
>> because of how browsers currently implement the DOM for HTML4 puzzles
>> me, since we're changing the DOM for HTML5, anyway.

> parsing goes. In <table>, however, it would be a problem because in
> legacy browsers the element would be moved outside the <table> in the
> DOM.

Actually in legacy browsers, SVG in HTML doesn't even exist, except as a
jumble of markup that confuses the heck out of HTML parsers. I'm
assuming, though, that browsers that implement HTML5 would act
appropriately with SVG. I may be too limited in my viewpoint, but I'm
not particularly concerned about legacy browsers, because we're not
talking about legacy HTML.

Regardless--with appreciations for note and caution--we should probably
focus on topic thread, which is replacements for dt/dd where they're
used outside of dl.

Thanks, though.

Shelley