Re: Opera 10.10 recently added longdesc support

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 13:03:57 -0500
To: Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>
Cc: Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c@gmail.com>, Cynthia Shelly <cyns@exchange.microsoft.com>, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>
Hi Jonas,

> Also, please don't argue to *me* that removing support is bad.

I wasn't arguing that. I was stating a fact about Opera's support.

Also a fact: WAI CG Consensus Resolutions on Text alternatives in HTML 5 stated:

<quote>
 Because we are confident that aria-describedby will be supported by
assistive technologies at least as well as longdesc when HTML5 becomes
a W3C Recommendation:

* IF
   - aria-describedby is incorporated in HTML5
   - and aria-describedby allows pointing to long text alternatives
that are off of the page (by pointing to a link on the page)
* THEN
   - we believe it is acceptable to obsolete longdesc in HTML5.

RATIONALE: It is important that a long text mechanism exist which is
capable of pointing off page. Long descriptions are often too lengthy
and detailed to be included on the main page. If aria-describedby can
point off page (by pointing to a link on the page) then it would
remove any need for continued support of LONGDESC which is not widely
used by authors at this time. (NOTE: it is understood that
aria-describedby cannot point off page directly.)"

http://www.w3.org/2009/06/Text-Alternatives-in-HTML5

Best Regards,
Laura

--